Monday, September 13, 2010

A Close Call

Lately, my allergies have been getting the best of me. In an effort to avoid yet another trip to the doctor for yet another shot, I have been using a neti pot. This little teapot-looking device cleans out your nose by pouring salty water through your nasal cavities. I'll spare you the gory details, but I will say it works. My runny nose and sneezing have decreased in, ahem, volume, and I feel better. So, I plan to use it for a while.

Yesterday, I was happily pouring warm, salty water in my nose and dutifully breathing through my mouth when I felt that tickle. You know, that tickle at the back of the nose and throat. Yep, it happened. I sneezed while using my neti pot. Danger, danger Will Robinson! I thought that drowning myself was a distinct possibility. I did suck down some water, but I did survive. Whew! It was a close call. Until...I sneezed again. Are you picturing this? Tall, lithe, beautiful (well, this is my blog, after all) young woman bent awkwardly over her bathroom sink with a blue plastic teapot stuck up her nose...SNEEZING!

After surviving the second sneeze, I caught a look at myself in the mirror, and it wasn't pretty. Terrified eyes, red cheeks, furrowed brow...none of this was supposed to happened precisely because I was using the neti pot. Ah, my life on the edge. That's about as exciting as it gets these days. Terrifying drama in an effort to stave off seasonal allergies. I simply love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment