Monday, June 22, 2009

Writing from a Non-Writer

I've never thought of myself as a writer, but now, at 30, maybe it's time I put my thoughts into words. Who knows if it will be readable or even enjoyable, but I want to try. So, first, a bit about me. I'm newly single, newly 30, work as a librarian, and have four pets. Yes, I said four pets. I never anticipated having four pets, but alas, now I do.

Lucy is my crazy cat. She is almost nine years old, but she acts like a kitten most of the time. She insists one sleeping near me, and she absolutely hates the dogs. She also meows at me as if I can understand her perfectly. Oddly enough, I sometimes do. Zen is my yellow lab. He is the perfect epitome of his name. He takes everything in stride. He only gets excited about walks, food, and coming in to the cool house. Currently, he is a little on the hefty side, but we are working on that. Tula is my blue heeler with way too much energy. She is eating everything in my backyard. She adores Zen and wants to be friends with Lucy, but that will never happen. Tula is a very happy dog and will lick you to death if you let her. Nigel is the newest addition. I don't know how long I will get to keep him, but I love him already. He is a schnauzer, I think. I rescued him from my neighbors who thought that leaving him outside in the 95+degree heat was okay. He had no food or water. I couldn't not rescue him. He is great. Zen and Tula have accepted him, and all seems well in the Collins household.

My pets are such a big part of my life now. I was married for nine years, and now that I'm not, it still feels weird that no other human lives in my home. Luckily, my family and friends have been my support during this trying time. I am absolutely blessed to have them in my life. Lots of things have happened to me in the last year and a half that have made me take a good, long look at my life. I've decided that while I'm stronger than I ever thought, life doesn't always care if you are strong enough. God does care. He cares about me more than I thought. His love for me is overwhelming sometimes, and I see it everyday. He has taken care of me and looked out for me. In November 2007, I was hit by a car and had to have my hip rebuilt. I'm back to normal now, so to speak. The accident, along with my divorce, was something I never anticipated. Now, I look back and see how God was working in my life. He still is, and for that, I am so grateful.

For those that know me, my life is sometimes crazy, sometimes serious, and mostly funny. I have lots of stories to tell, and I'm looking forward to sharing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment