Monday, August 2, 2010

The Name Game

Okay, confession time. Unfortunately, I do not have the gift of remembering people's names very well. I hardly ever forget a face, but chances are I will not remember your name to save my own life. It's true, and I hate it. You would think that I would work on this, but those that know me know I'm content to muddle through. I say things like, "hey you!" , "hi, pal!", and "hello there!" to get me through the awkwardness of not remembering names. If I say any of these salutations to you, please know I am really trying to remember your name. It's just impossible sometimes.

So, I have said all that to share with you my very memorable "not remembering your name but should" experience today.

Are you ready?

Seatbelt on?

Tissue handy in case you laugh so loud you snort a little and have to wipe your nose?

Here we go...

We have lots of new people at my school. This is very bad for me, as you have probably guessed. Our new school secretary is wonderful. I have been introduced to her twice and have heard her introduce herself to several people. She has told me and others to call her "Annie." Fine. Perfect. I can handle this. However, I could have sworn on most things holy that her last name was "Johnson."

So I have been calling her "Mrs. Johnson" instead of "Annie." I'm trying to show respect, etc. Well, I'm beginning to suspect that her last name is not "Johnson." That's right. I may, might , probably have been calling her the wrong name for days!!!

Today, she asked me to email her a list of vendors that I am expecting deliveries from. So I looked her up in the email directory.... NO JOHNSON!!! Ack! Eek! Noooooo! The feeling that I have been making a complete fool of myself is looming larger on the horizon.

So, I took the coward's way out and just walked to her office. We proceeded to look for the boxes and chat for about 30 minutes. The entire time I'm thinking, "tell me your name! What is your name, Annie?!?!"

I still don't know her entire name. I'm hoping to find out tomorrow from another teacher I can trust. If not, I'm just consoling myself with the fact that I did NOT say, "take a load off, Annie" to her one time. Not one. I'm sure it will slip out soon, though. Maybe it will take her mind off the fact that I can't remember her name...

No comments:

Post a Comment