Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gum

On a lighter note, I have to clean out my office. That's my condition to buying a new desktop computer. You might think that saving enough money or earning a computer through acts of kindness are more appropriate, but I have to disagree. My office is a huge mess, and it's been on my to-do list for about four months. To get it clean is a huge accomplishment for me. Also, my desktop is nine years old and currently contaminated with viruses and trojans that my mom let in through a website that was NOT the Christian morning show she was looking for. (I'll tell more on that story after I get her permission. She wasn't happy about it.)

So, I need to clean out my office. I tried a little the other day. Only succeeded in finding old photo albums, which, of course, I had to spend the rest of my "cleaning time" looking at. One album had pictures of me as a little girl with my grandmother. I've always been close to her, and I remembered she had given me the album many years ago. As I got to the end, after laughing hysterically, I noticed blond hair sticking out the back of the album. Yes, I said hair.

It hit me like a ton of bricks. She had saved my cut hair from when I got about five pounds of strawberry bubbalicious gum stuck in my hair at her house one night. Not only did about eight inches of hair have to be cut away from my head, I woke up stuck to the pillow. It wasn't just a little "stuck" either. The pillow would not come away from my head. My nana had to take the pillow case off, and I walked around looking like a lost middle eastern child with their turban askew. (I have always wanted to use the word "askew.") It was finally decided that cutting my hair was the only way to free me from the gum and the pillow case, which was stuck so closely to my head that ice or peanut butter could not penetrate enough to unstick the gum.

I really don't remember all of the exact details of the gum incident. I do know that it was not the only time I got gum stuck in my hair. It is the only time, though, that anyone saved the gum and hair. There it was, stuck in the back of the photo album. The gum still smells like strawberries after about, oh, 27 years later.

For the record, I sleep with my mouth closed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment