Sunday, July 19, 2009

Kindness

I love the movie "Steel Magnolias." Laughter, tears, Southern woman, Louisiana...what's not to like. I watched it for the 84,000th time a few days ago, and I was struck by all the words of wisdom shared by the characters. To be entertained and learn something at the same time is truly the mark of a great movie. I would like to share a few of my favorite tidbits of wisdom, and please, pardon the language. Some of the characters don't have much of a filter.

Frustration

Shelby: What does Sammy say about all this? (Annelle's constant praying.)
Truvy: Oh, he's so confused. He doesn't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt.

More truer words of frustration I have yet to find. Poor Sammy.


The Importance of Sharing

Weezer: Are those magnolias from my tree?
Drum: The judge has not decided precisely who's tree that is.
Weezer: It is mine!

Even adults have a hard time sharing.


Kindess

Weezer: I'm nice! Dammit, I am nice! I saw Drum Edenton at the Piggly Wiggly the other day, and I smiled at the son of a bitch before I could help myself!

Kindness runs deep in some people. So deep, they might not even be aware of it.


Sacrifice

Claree: Hit her! Hit her, M'Lynn! We'll sell t-shirts that say "I took a whack at Weezer Beaudreau!
Weezer: Claree, are you crazy!
Claree: Hit her! Half of Chiquipin Parish would give their eye teeth to take a whack at Weezer!
Weezer: Have you lost your mind, Claree?

In times of great stress, sacrifices must be made. You just don't expect your friends to sacrifice you!


"Steel Magnolias" will go down as one of my top ten favorite movies of all time. I love it more than my luggage, as the saying goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment